3.16.2015

panic button

The other day I was sitting down, fiddling with my car keys. For some reason the red panic button at the bottom stood out to me. A panic button. A button to push when we are FREAKING OUT.



I kind of half laughed as I thought about that red button, because when did we become a society that needs a button to push when we are feeling threatened--when we feel panicky? I tried to figure out when the button was introduced to the key fob, but Wikepedia failed me. And I don't have the time or energy to research beyond that. But...I know the first Model T did not come with a panic button. Did it even have a door lock?

I've never knowingly pushed the panic button. I'm thankful I've never been in a panicking type of situation when holding my keys. In real life, though, in the day to day to day to day, I push my panic button far too often. 

I'm thankful my car is the only thing that has a real red button, because if my brain had one that I could set beeping when I started to panic, the noise would surround me often. And why do I do that? Why do I let myself live in fear? In worry? In panic-mode?

Do not be anxious about anything. But in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. [Philippians 4:6-7]

I wish remembering that, and living that, were as easy as pushing a red button.

post signature

No comments: