2.02.2015

this day

First, I have to say thank you to everyone who is helping me with my shoe wearing problem. You're the best.


I was folding laundry [way, way, way too much laundry that has sat in my mudroom for WEEKS!], and sorting out papers for taxes and listening to the non-noise of my girls napping [which hasn't happened in WEEKS either! It was awesome]. As I sat amongst little socks and Frozen panties, and 1099 forms, I started thinking about life. Where was I on this day last year, or the year before? Though I don't know exactly, it was probably something like this:

Last year I was enjoying my simple days with a very talkative and fun Blythe with my second daughter growing like a weed inside of me. I wondered about what Becks would be like, if "Becks" was the right name, how my days were about to change, and getting ready to transfer Blythe to a big girl room.

Two years ago I was celebrating the fact that I was almost done nursing Blythe, yet finding it hard to believe I had an almost one year old on my hands. I was finally accepting my new role as a stay at home mom and missing my days in the classroom a little less.

Three years ago I was grading To Kill a Mockingbird tests and teaching The Great Gatsby and creative writing and preparing for ACTs and finalizing my decision to stay home with my first daughter when she arrived. I was busy making sub plans for the last month and a half of school and growing anxious about delivering a child.

Four years ago I was probably on a bus somewhere to some basketball game, as I was the assistant coach. It was month six of coaching for me and I was exhausted. I was also really enjoying my sophomores and juniors.

Five years ago Brent and I were looking at the very real possibility of moving back to Missouri and saying goodbye to all of our wonderful friends in Louisville. It didn't seem real and it was all happening  so quickly. I was cooking meals in a small one bedroom apartment, and enjoying the second year of our marriage.

How does all of that life happen in just five years? We've moved. We've had two babies. We've fallen into and out of new roles. And as I stacked up the folded t-shirts into the laundry basket to deposit in the correct bedrooms, I realized that in five years I will have an almost 8 year old and an almost 6 year old.

Sometimes looking back makes you look forward. Which makes you appreciate sitting in the midst of lots and lots of laundry that needs to be folded.


post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just in case you haven't heard: Lee to publish Mockingbird 'sequel' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31118355