6.01.2015

jesus stuck in my mouth


Today I had to cover some hitting practice at the school, so Blythe and Becks tagged along. Blythe grabbed her stethoscope, shot, bandaids, and baby doll to take with her. I heard her "doctoring" in her carseat and she was listening to her baby's heartbeat and said, "Baby, you have Jesus stuck in your mouth!" 

I wasn't sure I heard her correctly, so I asked, "What is wrong with your baby?"

"Oh, she just has Jesus stuck in her mouth."

"How did that happen?!" I asked as I stifled my laughter. 

"He just walked, walked, walked, and walked right in der!" 

The moment passed and later I was fixing lunch and I thought about her prognosis again: She has Jesus stuck in her mouth. And then I remembered my prayer last night:
God, I know you are present and in the midst of all of our mundane days, and I just ask that you help me be acutely aware of the moments you are trying to reveal yourself to me. 

And I think He was there, in the backseat with my three year old, trying to remind me of a truth I've read many times in the bible. 

I thought of the account in Matthew 12 where Jesus healed the demon-posessed man. Everyone was "astonished", but the Pharisees said that Satan had done it. In response  Jesus admonishes them and ends by saying, "A tree is recognized by its fruit....For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks... But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgement for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned." [vs. 22-37]

When I was in high school I wrote Psalm 119:14 on my basketball shoes. I knew on the court I needed to remind myself about my tongue, and my prayer was "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer." 

Today God reminded me of the power of my words, for good or for evil. He reminded me that I need a little more Jesus stuck in my mouth. 

Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. 
Psalm 141: 3


post signature

No comments: