6.05.2013

bank talk


As most of you know by now my husband, Brent, works at a bank in our small but bustling town. Which means that he gets to see and talk to a lot of people throughout his days. He and I have always enjoyed quirky sayings, so from time to time he'll come home and tell me about something he heard someone say, or he'll shoot me a quick email with a funny remark he heard.

Here are just a few:

The teller asked a little boy of about 4 or 5, "How are you?" 
He responded, "I'm pretty much." 


Someone asked an older customer, "What are you doing?"
He said, "Nothing. I ain't doing nothing and I've got all day to do it." 


A customer walked in and was asked, "What are you up to?"
He quipped, "Oh, about 190 pounds or so."


At one of the branches where Brent worked, there was a building in town that was having construction done to it. The owner of the building, or someone [details are sometimes lost on me], came in the bank and was asked how long construction like that would normally take.
"Normal!?" He laughed, "Normal is a setting on your washing machine. Haven't you figured that out? It's snowing in May. Normal doesn't matter." 


And one of my favorites, though a bit crass, that never ceases to make Brent and I chuckle:
There was an older gentleman that came in once, a man that my father in law would most definitely refer to as an "old codger." Through a stream of events, Brent ended up having to give him a ride home [small town banking at its best, folks]. While driving across town, the man felt led to share some of his life with Brent, at which point this little nugget slipped out:
"Well son, I've been through more shit than a wagon wheel." 

                                                                              *    *   * 

People are funny in some pretty creative ways if you just stop and listen.

Does your family have any funny sayings or responses to questions that make you chuckle?
post signature

1 comment:

Momiss said...

My mother worked a bank when I was growing up. One of the younger tellers at that time did an excellent job of listening to customers without ever giving away any personal information. When my mother asked her how she did that, she said the trick was not to really listen. She sang Camptown Ladies in her head instead of taking in the details. After that, when the customer was gone, she would often catch my mom's eye and simply "Doo dah, doo dah". It was personal joke between them for decades and we adopted it in my family. How often we would turn to each other, after an exhausting "visit" with someone we had not planned to run into, and say "Doo dah". ;D Good times. Good times.