6.28.2013

a current favorite

I have this problem with recipes: when I find one that Brent and I both like, I tend to make it and make it and make it and we eat our fill and then I find a new one and forget about the old favorite for a year or two. Craziness. 

When Brent and I want muffins, I usually make what I call "Nathan's Muffins" because I got the recipe from Nathan's mom when I used to babysit N back in college. They have carrots and bananas and peanut butter…oh my! They are great. But then I discovered this recipe and, true to fashion, I have started making these and forgotten our old favorite. Maybe someday I'll bust out that recipe and share it with you, but for now these are the muffins that you'll find on my counter: 

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Muffins


Ingredients:
2 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
6 Tablespoons Butter, melted and cooled
1/2 Cup Chunky Peanut Butter (you can use smooth, that's fine)
2 Eggs
1 Cup Milk
3/4 Cup Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
-a lot of times I double it

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. 




In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, peanut butter, eggs, and milk until smooth. (if the peanut butter is in clumps within the liquid it will all work out in the end…trust me) 









Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture and mix until just combined.



 Fold in chocolate chips. 





In a paper lined muffin tin, scoop 3 tablespoon size scoops into each muffin cup (I never measure at this point… I just plop in the batter. I like the muffins big, because I want them to be filling as a snack, so I fill tins fairly full. I have made them in mini tins as well and they work just fine, I just adjusted the time a little shorter)..




 Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

While they bake, do the dishes. Or not. It's up to you. I don't think this step affects the taste of the muffins.


 I think these muffins are better cool, as I believe you taste more of the peanut butter flavor. They aren't overly strong on the peanut butter, and aren't overly sweet either. They are great with a big glass of milk.

Warning: If you eat them around toddlers, you will probably have to share. 
post signature

1 comment:

*carrie* said...

Those sound yummy. And I totally get what you're saying--those PB muffins are a perfect example. I don't think I've made them in a couple years, and I just thought of them the other day. I'm thinking Naomi will like them!