5.05.2011

cleaning my mind

Every month, thanks to my mom and dad, I receive the magazine "Real Simple." I love it. Love. It. Everything about it. The smell, the writing, the pictures, the creativity…Everything.

I knew I would like this month's issue when I pulled it out of the mailbox. The front cover shows dishes on cabinets/shelves. And the cabinets are TURQUOISE! Sound familiar? And the dishes are a variety of bold colors. Sound familiar? It made me proud of what I have created in my own kitchen :)

Anyway, I open up the issue and see this quote:

"When I cannot bear outer pressures anymore, I begin to put order in my belongings…As if unable to organize and control my life, I seek to exert this on the world of objects." - Anais Nin, The Diary of Anais Nin

This is very true in my life. I have found that since I have begun working I really enjoy keeping my things in order. In my classroom I am notorious for being organized. I keep my students notebooks in tubs organized by class period and they are also color coded with tape on their spines. I have all of my "crafting" supplies in tubs with labels, and my colored pencils are even separated by color. At my house I like things to be organized too. I have different crates with different items, I like everything in it's place whether it is my toothpaste or my books on the shelf. Now, this is not to say I don't have a few locations where I cheat: my bedside table and my "junk drawer" in the kitchen at home, or my middle desk drawer at school. It is just to say that when I am really stressed, finding a place for everything seems to help me organize my life a little more.

What about you? How do you operate when it comes to stress?

4 comments:

Momiss said...

Don't laugh. It was always the tradition when I grew up that we cleaned when anybody died. I have no idea why, but every single time we had a death in my mother's family and I would come home from where ever I was living, I would drive straight to the deceased house, where I would find all the female members of my family plus a dear lady named Mary Gray, who was the "cleaning woman" of Browning, MO. I believe we cleaned the house of the deceased instead of our own so that it would be ready for visitors, but I wouldn't swear to it. VERY therapeutic, I must say. I still do it to this day, only on my own house. Occasionally....

Brent said...

I don't clean to relieve stress...I guess I clean in order to prevent stress...meaning if I don't clean when Kelsey's asked me to,THEN i'd have a stressed out lady causing me some stress. haha just kidding.

*carrie* said...

Kelsey,

I like Real Simple, too. My mom and I have read it from the very first issue many years ago (I still have the premier issue, actually!) and we still read it together. I'm currently reading the May issue.

I love to organize stuff. I've learned to live with messes/clutter throughout the day, but at night, I enjoy putting things back in order so the day at least starts that way!

Barb said...

A place for everything and everything in its place...I think Grandma Schoon said that.