4.03.2016

2016 books update

 In January I posted a list of books I wanted to read this year. [You can see the list HERE and HERE is my list of books I read in 2015]. My goal is 52. Here is my updated list:
The Antelope in the Living Room
Sparkly Green Earrings
Let's All Be Brave
The Nesting Place
My Sister's Keeper
Keturah
Lonesome Dove
The Boy on the Wooden Box
The Lightening Keeper
Calling Me Home
The Boys in the Boat
The Nightingale
The Red Tent
The Emerald Mile
Inside the O'Briens
To Say Nothing of the Dog
When Crickets Cry
Captain Corelli's Mandolin
Safekeeping
11/22/64
The Secret History
I Am Pilgrim
The Mountain Story
The Girl on the Train
Irresistible Revolution
A Spool of Blue Thread
I Just Want to Pee Alone
Everything Else
From Tablet to Table
Nobody's Cuter Than You
One Tuesday Morning
Just Mercy
Don't Give Up
A Star for Mrs. Blake
The Reason I Jump
Destiny of the Republic
The Book of Unknown Americans
The Beautiful Daughters
Big Little Lies
Marcelo in the Real World
Ordinary Grace
Everything I Never Told You
We Never Asked for Wings
Deep Down Dark
Hands Free Mama
Being Mortal
What Alice Forgot
Ava's Man
Thieves of Manhattan
Station Eleven
Shotgun Love Songs
Outliers
The Long Knife
1776
Saving CeeCee Honeycutt
Black Eyed Susans
Her Final Breath
Hotel Moscow
Reluctant Midwife
The Same Sky
You Changed My Life
School for Good and Evil
The Vactioners
Fates and Furies
The Best Yes
Ones I have read that weren't on my list:
I Said Yes
Messy Grace
The End of Me

Currently reading:
A Man Named Ove
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn 
//The MUST READ so far is The End of Me, by Kyle Idleman.  [Goodreads summary here]. It looks at the upside down way of Jesus, focusing on the beatitudes from the Sermon on the Mount ["Blessed are those who mourn..." etc]. It was just really challenging and encouraging and created some great conversations between Brent and me.

//Shotgun Lovesongs, One Tuesday Morning, and The Nightingale were all good novels.
- Shotgun Lovesongs was set in Wisconsin and it is such a novel of place that I couldn't help but like it.
- One Tuesday Morning is a Christian novel, which I must say I usually stay away from because I usually find the writing not the best. But this one, by Karen Kingsbury, is about September 11th. I always like "historical novels" [strange to refer to September 11 as history], so I gave it a try and cried my eyes out.
- The Nightingale is set during WWII, in German invaded France. It tells the story of one family--two sisters. It was lengthy, but it kept my interest and I thought it was really good.

What have you been reading?
I'm having a hard time deciding what to get into next. Have you read any on the list that you really recommend that I should start right away? 



1 comment:

Mrs. White Writes said...

I read "What Alice Forgot". It wasn't terribly indepth, but it was a quick read and I felt like the characters were my friends. I felt myself sneaking off to read it so I could see what happened next.