5.03.2012

letters from students

While I was out on maternity leave [I guess technically I still am-- I will be returning for the last week of zoo- I mean school- next week], my sub did a fantastic job with my students. Fantastic. And she remembered the notes that her sub had had her students leave her when she had her first daughter, so she paid it forward. My students all took a little time to write Blythe a letter about her mom, and then later she also had them write me letters with their advice on parenting! As always, I want to document this, so here are a few snippets: 


Dear Blythe:


-Your mom taught me how to write poetry and stories. I used to hate writing but she taught me how to love it. I lover her class and enjoy coming to it everyday. Welcome to the world!


- Your mom is one of the best teachers I know. She is a fair and nice person, as I'm sure you will figure out sooner or later.


- She has some pretty cheesy jokes, but they are so bad you just have to laugh. You are blessed to have Mrs. I. as a mom. 


- If she is as nice to you as she was to us, you will definitely love her a lot!


- She loves what she does and is passionate about it. 


- Your mom is a very nice lady. She is funny and kind and a great teacher. You will be in great hands as you grow up. 


- Your mom is one of the best people you will ever meet. She makes the classroom so much fun. She will make you read "To Kill a Mockingbird" before you are 2, probably. You will love her as a mom. 


- She's a great teacher, and a friend too. She makes me smile every time I see her. 


- Your mom is a very good teacher and has a lot of activities instead of just boring lessons sitting in a chair. Did you know you probably about got the name Scout, from "To Kill a Mockingbird"? And I'm sure you will hear some jokes from her, make sure you laugh cause she thinks they're funny. Haha. Just Kidding. Your mom is the best. 


- She keeps things very clean. 


- Your mom is… wow, amazing! I love her to death. She is understanding, kind, and pretty! I look up to her every day. I hope someday  will be half of the amazing mom as yours will be [and is]. Blythe, I can't wait to see you. I know you are so pretty like your mom. Good luck in softball. Mr. Blythe is fantastic.  P.S. Your dad is very good on the guitar. It's so good to listen to him in church. 


- Your mom is one of the nicest teachers/people I have ever known. She cares about everyone and I have never really seen her in a bad mood. She can always put people in a good mood and make them feel good about themselves. 


- Your mom was a great teacher and I learned a lot from her. My poetry, and actually all of my writing, has gotten a lot better. I loved having your mom as a teacher because she was really funny and made class fun. 


-I believe she's shown me how to inspire and make students smile. With the help of your mom, I've decided to be a teacher some day! 


- Your mom is such a wonderful woman! For the two years that I've known her, she has always been an added ray of sunshine to my day! I know that she will be a good mother who will love you very much. All the things that she does will be because the loves you, so don't think anything by that. 


- Your mom knows how to listen. You should trust her. She will always be there for you no matter what. 


- Your mom is an amazing woman . She is so fun and really sweet. I don't think she will put up with much, but you're truly lucky. You're going to have a wonderful life. 


- Your mom is my favorite teacher [not kidding]. She never judges and has trouble getting angry. I would have loved to have had her next year, but eh, you happened. Oh well? Nah, I'm glad you were born. 


- I hope she is as good a mother as a teacher. 


- I hope you like novels because you'll be reading "TO Kill a Mockingbird" when you're 7 years old. I also hope you don't like dogs, because you're not getting one. You will have a wonderful childhood with Mrs. I. as a mother. 


- You are one lucky girl. I have no doubt your mama will teach you so much. I'm sad I don't get her next year, but you deserve her time. I bet you'll grow up to be just as great as your mom and dad.


- Your mom taught me lots of things this year. Besides teaching me the difference between a simile and a metaphor, she taught me lots of life lessons. She taught me to give everyone a chance, no matter who they are. She also taught me how to bunt correctly in softball. 


- She will always be able to bring you up when you are sad. She is very loving, so I know you will always be loved with the biggest heart. 


- Your mom is one of the coolest teachers I've had. She understands what it is like to be a teenager. 


-Your mom was a very good teacher. She encouraged her students to think outside the box and be creative. 


- You should never question her authority.


- Your mom is a wonderful woman. She's always happy and cheerful no matter what. If you didn't know, she'd terrible at acting mad, so you'll know when she really is. If you haven't already noticed, she is a beautiful woman that can always cheer you up when you're down. She's a good teacher, at English anyway, but I probably wouldn't trust her with subjects like math. Yikes. 


- Even for the people who don't like reading and writing, she makes it fun for everyone. 


-I have never met someone with so much patience. She would do anything to help anyone. 
Dear Mrs. I: [Parenting advice]


- I feel like my mother and I's relationship has been much better and stronger when she trusts me and isn't jumping down my throat about every little thing.


- As a parent you need to discipline Blythe if she does something bad. Also you need to love her and give her a lot of attention. 


- I think you'll do just fine. You will have a good start about dealing with kids because you're a teacher- so you kind of have already been a parent. 


- Don't always be so serious and have fun. Let her cook with you and do the stuff you do. 


- As a parent, never tell your child that you are their "friend." It's okay to ask her what's wrong, but if she says she wants to be along, leave her alone. She'll come around. 


-Treat her like you treat your students. 


- Just be yourself and Blythe will love you.  Wait until she is at least 4 to make her read "To Kill a Mockingbird." 


- Don't forget how it was to be a kid or a teenager. 


-Be fair and just. Show her compassion, but don't spoil her too much.


- You should listen to what your child's side of the story is if something goes wrong. 


-You should always accept your kid for what they are. And don't give into them no matter how many tricks they play because it will help them in the long run. Also, feed her good food and a healthy died so she will grow up good and be athletic and strong. 


- As a parent be yourself, or at least be the way you are in class.


- Make sure you make it comfortable to talk to you about awkward things. I always am able to tell or talk to my mom about anything and it helps. 


- It's easier in the long run to not spoil kids and make them mind. 


- You already know the boys will be chasing that little cutie so just lock her up! :) 


- When she gets in trouble, always look at her view. Always encourage her to be her best and to never give up. Expect a lot of good things because we all know she is going to be successful at anything and everything. Be ready to catch her if she falls. Enjoy the little things and never give up on her. When she gets a booboo in sports, tell her to rub a lil' dirt on it like my dad did to me. 


- You should give her responsibilities when she gets older. You should probably not ground Blythe by taking her phone because it's torture! 


- Always trust your child. To know my parents trust me is a great thing, so make sure you trust Blythe. 


- Don't spoil her because then she'll grow up and only know how to take and not give. 


- Make sure she is done doing her business when you change her diaper, that way you don't get any on you!


- When she won't stop crying, just take a deep breath and comfort her.


- Be calm when you get in a fight. Yelling just makes teens more mad and we don't listen. Also if you do get in an argument, apologize or talk it out before she goes to bed. 


- I don't really know what to tell you because I'm not a parent, so just be awesome. 


- Try to encourage her to be whatever she wants to be. Let her know that she's important and special, just the way she is. Let her be free to try things and be herself. 


- Accept that there will come times in life when you are wrong, and Blythe is right-- there may not be many, but they'll be there. 


-As a parent, you should listen to your children. If they need to talk, stop and talk with them. If they just need someone to listen to them, be there. 


- Never let your kid play with fire. 


I had to end with that one :) 


My students are the best. Seriously. 

No comments: