2.25.2013

keeping the promise

Not too long ago I stumbled across a blog wherein the blogger is my age and a high school English teacher. So I kept coming back. Then said blogger decided to do an "online book club". Sold! I'd always wanted to be in a book club, where I could sit around and sip coffee with ladies and discuss literature! This was the next best thing and, let's be honest, with an eleven month old more of a reality.

All that to say, I'm reading books I don't know that I would have read if it weren't for this book club. Why? Because these are like "new york times best seller" books. You know the type. The type of books I typically avoid because, when it comes right down to it, I usually don't LOVE what everyone else LOVES. Too much hype. Too much "oh-my-gosh-you're-gonna-LOVE-this". And then I don't love it because I was told I would. Call me crazy [you may have already done that].

But…lo and behold… I actually kind of sort of really liked last month's book. I hesitate to recommend it though, or even tell you what it was because it isn't a…umm…nice book. Not only is it haunting but there are scenes that made me cringe and blush. I was glad I read it on my kindle because I may have been ashamed if someone saw me reading it. That type of book. But oh my the writing was lovely [minus the swear words…why must authors do that?]. If you MUST know, email me/comment [if your email is attached to your blogger comment…if it's not HERE is a quick how-to do that and then I can respond to your comments directly…please do that…I hate when I try to respond to you and can't :(.

The second book I started today. It is "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. I don't know if I recommend it yet. However, there is a particular line that stood out to me today while I was reading:

"How can you just break a promise?" 
"Sometimes people don't understand the promises they're making when they make them," I said.
Isaac shot me a look. "Right, of course. But you keep the promise anyway. That's what love is. Love is keeping the promise anyway."

And so I sat, allowing myself time to think about the line; allowing myself time to agree or disagree. I do this a lot: like HERE

And I think it is a very simplistic and beautiful thing- love is keeping the promise anyway. Yes, it is. Love is keeping the "'til death do us part." Love is forgiving a forgotten errand, even when you've reminded him time and again to 'please-pick-up-some-milk', and keeping the promise anyway. Love is putting aside your frustration and anger, even when justified, and keeping the promise anyway. 

In a society that so quickly moves on when "the-feelings-just-aren't-what-they-used-to-be", or "I'm-just-not-happy-anymore", love is keeping the promise anyway. 

I just like when a book, good or bad, throws a little gem in there like this-- a little gift to stumble across. 

And that's all I really had to share today: 
- I guess I'm kind of sort of in a little book club [will keep you posted on books]
and
- Here is a line from my book. What do you think? 


No comments: